Monday, February 3, 2014

Edible Cacti (Part 1)

Hello everyone! Each week I will be doing sections on edible plants in Colorado. This week and next week I will focus on edible Cacti(Cactus). Many people don't know that many types of cacti are in fact edible and even available in your local supermarkets! Today lets focus on Cylindropuntia acanthocarpa. Try saying that 3 times fast! Despite being found on rocky and dry hillsides, this cactus is high in calcium and has been used by the natives in the dry seasons. Although not an everyday food, many people still pit roast or boil the buds and claim it tastes like asparagus. I will have to try it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_acanthocarpa


2 comments:

  1. Do any of these actually taste good? I usually avoid them at all times; they never benefit me when I eventually do go on hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't these hard to eat? I think it would be more effort than it is worth to actually eat a cactus.

    ReplyDelete